The South Atlantic Division and its predecessors have been engaged in military engineering and water resources deveopment in the Southeast since the earliest days of the republic.
The division was officially formed in 1929, with headquarters in Richmond, Virginia. In 1943, the division headquarters moved to Atlanta, Georgia, where it has resided ever since.
A history of the division and its work from the end of World War II through 2011 was published in 2012. A pdf copy of it is posted here.